CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Wrap snob.

I started "babywearing" with Gabriel when he was about 4 months old. But we didn't do it around the house. We only had one stretchy wrap, and we only used it when we went out in public to go shopping, sight seeing, whatever. It wasn't that comfortable, because any child over 15 lbs isn't going to be worn comfortably in a stretchy wrap. I knew about other wraps out there, that were more supportive, but told myself I'd never spend up to $100 on a wrap.

Cue Xavier's arrival. He has been 100% different from the get-go. He had a strong desire to be skin to skin at all times, and no matter what I did had a fussy period every evening for about 3-4 hours. When I remembered the carrier I had, is when his fussy period began becoming more tolerable.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It only took me 2 weeks to realise that the wrap I had wasn't going to cut it, and that I needed something more supportive for my needy little baby. I bought my first german woven wrap, and it all went downhill from there.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I went from one woven wrap...

To 6 in a matter of 6 weeks. So much for never spending so much money on a wrap, eh?
I was even able to get George in on the action.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And Gabe enjoyed the occasional back ride, as well...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here we are, 7 months later, and we still wrap atleast 3-4 hours a day. Xavier is in a wrap before every naptime and bedtime. That's how he falls to sleep, nestled into my chest. We also wrap anytime we go shopping, to the park, etc. - but we're starting to do that less, now that Xavier prefers to sit in the cart at the grocery store, or crawl around in the grass at the park.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And here I am, 7 months later, with 9 woven wraps.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I certainly don't need 9 wraps. But wrapping has become such an intimate and important aspect of our lives, that I've ended up acquiring that many - and it's perfect.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I don't own a wrap, but I've always wanted to try one out. I've been trying to find a good deal but so far haven't found one I can afford.

Thank you Taylor for making me want a wrap even worse than I did before! LOL

Unknown said...

I love woven wraps. I have two, I so wish I could afford 9!

Unknown said...

I want to try it when we have kids some day, but I'm scared I'll do something wrong when they are newborn/little babies.

Unknown said...

I love the one you're wearing while chatting on the phone. I have a Gypsy Mama batik guaze wrap and two short Rebozo wraps (only good for a simple sling for small babies.. and after that I'm giving them to Merikalyn to use to copy me while wrapping her baby dolls).

I love my GMBG wrap SO much that I want to buy a gajillion more.... they are addictive. Maybe someday I'll make one... yanno, with all my extra time. BAHAHAHA. ;)

Anonymous said...

Do you have an EllaRoo woven? I wondered how good they are... since they are quite a bit cheaper from the Didy.

Anonymous said...

Is that HIMBEER?! :drools:
I feel somewhat responsible for all these, you know since I sold you your first wrap and all. :D
I'm down to two wraps. Lena and red girasol.
But we are meitaiers. ;) I won't count my meitais.